Jun 30, 2007

Science and Angels




Allen and I took a bike ride up the West Side Highway to 44th St. where we found the Science Barge. I had read about it at Apartment Therapy. They have public tours almost every day at 4pm.



This barge is a self sustaining greenhouse that is completely off the grid. It uses solar and wind power. It also has a back up bio diesel generator for the cloudy days. The water they use is collected off the roof of the greenhouse or taken out of the Hudson and purified. The hope is that one day all the rooftops of the city can be turned into greenhouses. This way the energy used to transport the produce here can be eliminated. Also stated was how this form of agriculture is much more friendly to the earth by reducing water waste and saving trees from getting cut down for farm land. You can find more info here.



































































As for knitting, this Monday I met Nicky Epstein at the book signing at The Point. She is so fun and so is her new book Knitting Never Felt Better. I started on her Angel Puff Scarf. It takes one ball of Kid Silk Haze (I chose Kid Silk Night for some glam.) and is worked in plain stockinette. I'm just about finished with the knitting portion and can't wait to get started on the felting.
















I have also finished the baby knits. They are just darling.
















I've noticed recently that I'm knitting a lot of drape-y items in drape-y yarns. And I've loved it - The Flair, Delicious, Phyllo Yoked Pullover, etc. But this week I got my shipment of new craft books in the mail and fell head over heels in love with Fitted Knits. Almost everything in there has a little body to it and I just couldn't wait to get started. So I went through the stash and found some plum colored Woolbale that I was saving for a Fair Isle sweater (that I know for a fact I'll never get to), and casted on for the Puff Sleeved Feminine Cardigan.





















Many more projects to talk about but I think I'll save them for next time. BTW: I got my invite to ravelry.com! Come find me: Knittini

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Ok, I really want to go to The Science Barge. Is that lame?

CityMinx said...

looking lovely!

and the knit works are looking lovely too....

psst, tell rebecca i'll go with her to the barge

Macoco said...

Those baby socks are so sweet.